Monday, September 26, 2011

Wedding Music

Yesterday I officiated at the wedding of the daughter of a musician friend. The music was beautiful and I learned of a new genre of Jewish wedding music. Just when I thought I had a pretty good handle on what I do for a living, I discovered a totally new text with many musical settings. I spent some time today educating myself on you tube.

"Mee ban see-ach" is a mediaval liturgical poem ('piyut') based on a an ancient Midrash on the Biblical Song of Solomon. I prefer this translation:
The One who comprehends the rose among the thorns
The love of (or for) the bride, the joy of the betrothed -
May He bless the bride and groom!

Either way, it's a beautiful text and it echoes the traditional opening lines of the Jewish wedding ceremony: Mi Adir . Mi Ban Se-ach has become a song of praise for the bride and is popular in Orthodox ceremonies. I found several musical settings on you tube. I liked this one best. I suspect that the melody and arrangement were originally Christian rock, or, that it could make that crossover very easily - but then again, what's new. and here's another a capella arrangement. As my Jewish music professor, ELi Schleiffer taught me - there is no such thing as Jewish music. We are always taking - and some times influencing - the religious music of our neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. Your Wedding Reception is very important to you, your partner and loved ones. Taking the time to plan effectively, while letting your creative juices flow, will prove to be rewarding for everyone.

    ReplyDelete