Monday, September 26, 2011

Palestinian Pride

Abu Mazen's bid for a Palestinian state may not result in full statehood but it's invigorated the Palestinian people. I like my Israeli/Palestinian pickles. I got accustomed to the flavor in Israel. I confess that I violate my commitment to BDS when I buy Kibbutz Yavneh's pickles. I defend myself in that a. I used to live across the street from Kibbutz Yavneh's pickle plant and b. theirs are the only decent pickles in vinegar.
But most pickles coming out of Israel are in brine and I have yet to find Palestinian pickles in vinegar. (Vinegar must have been an Ashkenazi innovation in the Middle East.)
So, I frequently buy the Chicago-based Ziyyad brand of pickles, but, today, this one caught my eye.


It's the first time I've seen a Palestinian company proudly display the Palestinian flag.
Congratulations! Mabrouk!
And the pickles taste good too. Just like the the Kibbutz's.

No comments:

Post a Comment